Today's threads (a thread)
Inside: Book-banning wingnuts are a tiny, vocal minority; and more!
New York City! I'm in town this week with "Chokepoint Capitalism," Rebecca Giblin's and my latest book! See us Friday at NYU!
All this week, I'll be at Unfinished Live: https://live.unfinished.com/
More cities here: https://chokepointcapitalism.com/
If you can't make it to a tour-stop and want a signed, personalized copy shipped to your door, our friends at Folio Books have you covered:
Book-banning wingnuts are a tiny, vocal minority: The moral majority is neither.
Hey look at this
* ‘I think I was good, though I could have been better’: Terry Pratchett and the writing of his life https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/sep/17/i-think-i-was-good-though-i-could-have-been-better-terry-pratchett-and-the-writing-of-his-life (h/t Diane Duane)
* Inside Apple’s Secret iPhone 14 Redesign https://www.ifixit.com/News/64865/iphone-14-teardown (h/t Brian Merchant)
* Colorado police bind woman on railroad tracks, let her get hit by a locomotive https://boingboing.net/2022/09/20/colorado-police-bind-woman-on-railroad-tracks-let-her-get-hit-by-a-locomotive.html
#20yrsago Scientology silences critics at Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine https://web.archive.org/web/20121108101856/http://groups.google.com/group/alt.religion.scientology/msg/c2a9c4952ae57848
#20yrsago New bill will make analog VCRs and TVs illegal in 2006 https://digitalconsumer.org/press-release-2002-09-19.html
#20yrsago Groucho to Warner Bros: Get Bent https://web.archive.org/web/20020604031835/http://www.princeton.edu/~flannery/quotations/casablanca.html
#15yrsago My Guardian column on “the information economy” https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2007/sep/18/informationeconomy
#15yrsago DRM violates Canadian privacy law https://cippic.ca/sites/default/files/CIPPIC_Report_DRM_and_Privacy.pdf
#15yrsago Private doc does “e-visits” by email or webcam https://web.archive.org/web/20070925030643/http://www.jayparkinsonmd.com/
#15yrsago Soviet top-level domain refuses to die https://web.archive.org/web/20070101000000*/http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technology/2007/09/does-top-level-domain-make-nation.html
#10yrsago Fresco “restorer” wants a royalty from the church https://www.techdirt.com/2012/09/19/old-lady-ruins-fresco-claims-copyright-demands-money/
#5yrsago America’s execs increasingly believe health insurance industry is worse than useless https://truthout.org/articles/even-business-leaders-are-realizing-health-insurance-companies-serve-no-purpose/
#5yrsago Trump’s cutback-crazed health secretary loves billing private jets to the US taxpayer https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/19/tom-price-chartered-planes-flights-242908
#5yrsago Quiz: Breitbart headline, or KKK newspaper headline from the 1920s? https://www.slate.com/blogs/the_vault/2017/09/14/quiz_tests_whether_headlines_came_from_breitbart_or_1920s_kkk_newspapers.html
My latest book is Attack Surface, a sequel to my bestselling Little Brother books, now in paperback, wherever books are sold.
Signed copies at Dark Delicacies:
My book "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is a critique of Big Tech connecting conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies (proposing a way to deal with both) is now out in paperback:
My ebooks and audiobooks (from Tor Books, Head of Zeus, McSweeneys, and others) are for sale all over the net, but I sell 'em too, and when you buy 'em from me, I earn twice as much and you get books with no DRM and no license "agreements."
* Unfinished Live (NYC), Sept 21-23
* Chokepoint Capitalism with Nilay Patel, NYU Law School (NYC) 9/23, 7PM
* Chokepoint Capitalism event, SFPL (San Francisco), Sept 25
* Chokepoint Capitalism event, Book Soup (LA), Sept 27
* Discussing "Adventure Capitalism" with Raymond Craib, Skylight Books (LA), Sept 29
Upcoming appearances (cont'd):
* Regulating the Online Public Sphere: From Decentralized Networks to Public Regulation, Oct 3
* World Ethical Data Forum, Oct 26-28
* Arthur C Clarke Award (DC), Nov 16
* Billionaires As Policy Failure Factories (Macro N Cheese)
* Where’s My Privacy? (Where's My Jetpack)
* Launch for Motherboard's Terraform anthology
My first picture book is out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!
Here's today's edition: https://pluralistic.net/2022/09/20/the-moral-majority/
If you're a Medium subscriber, you can read these essays - as well as previews of upcoming magazine columns and early exclusives on doctorow.medium.com.
My latest Medium column is "Doing the Work: How to Write When You Suck
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "🐕". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!
Subscribe here: https://pluralistic.net/plura-list
Mamot.fr est un serveur Mastodon francophone, géré par La Quadrature du Net.