@pluralistic Mask idiot (Maskentrottel) is not that common, this 'condition' is usually mocked as nose willy (Nasenpimmel) or sometimes the other way around willy nose (Pimmelnase).
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!
Here's today's edition: https://pluralistic.net/2021/02/23/acceptable-losses/
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "🧑🏾🎨". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!
Subscribe here: https://pluralistic.net/plura-list
My first picture book is out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
* Technology, Self-Determination, and the Future of the Future (CERIAS)
* Talking "Permanent Record Young Readers' Edition" with Edward Snowden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipfjn3bir8
* Talking "Agency" with William Gibson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGkwzrE1MY
* Software Freedom is Essential to Human Freedom (linux.conf.au keynote) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EirKskSd5U
* Mellon Sawyer Seminar on Contemporary Political Struggle: Social Movements, Social Surveillance, Social Media (with Zeynep Tufekci), Feb 24, https://ucdavis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_I99f4x8WRiKCfKUljVcYPg
* World Ethical Data Forum keynote, Mar 17-19, https://worldethicaldataforum.org/wedf-2020
* Launching "The Future You" with Brian David Johnson, Mar 19, https://www.changinghands.com/event/march2021/brian-david-johnson-future-you-break-through-fear-and-build-life-you-want
* Balancing Worldbuilding and Narrative (with Karen Osborne and Kali Wallace), Mar 24, https://ucsd.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_YSvD5IjGS7Su2z-xhQN1ZA
My 2020 book "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is a critique of Big Tech connecting conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies and proposing a way to deal with both:
Now, it's available in paperback!
My latest novel is Attack Surface, a sequel to my bestselling Little Brother books. @washingtonpost called it "a political cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution and resistance."
Get signed books from @darkdel: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1840/Available_Now%3A_Attack_Surface.html
#5yrsago Unicorn vs. Goblins: the third amazing, hilarious Phoebe and her Unicorn collection! https://memex.craphound.com/2016/02/23/unicorn-vs-goblins-the-third-amazing-hilarious-phoebe-and-her-unicorn-collection/
#15yrsago UK anti-piracy officer assures Firefox she’ll catch the pirates who copy it https://web.archive.org/web/20060511105535/http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-2051196,00.html
#10yrsago Order of Odd-Fish, a funny, mannered, hilariously weird epic romp https://memex.craphound.com/2011/02/23/order-of-odd-fish-a-funny-mannered-hilariously-weird-epic-romp/
#10yrsago Scott Walker tricked into spilling his guts to fake Koch brother https://web.archive.org/web/20110226135536/https://www.salon.com/news/the_labor_movement/index.html?story=/politics/war_room/2011/02/23/koch_walker_call
#5yrsago Bill Gates: Microsoft would backdoor its products in a heartbeat https://web.archive.org/web/20160223175618/https://www.recode.net/2016/02/22/bill-gates-is-backing-the-fbi-in-its-case-against-apple/
Tomorrow, Zeynep Tufekci and I are delivering the Mellon Sawyer Seminar on Contemporary Political Struggle: Social Movements, Social Surveillance, Social Media: https://ucdavis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_I99f4x8WRiKCfKUljVcYPg
Today's threads (a thread).
Inside: Private equity's nursing home killing spree; Malcolm X's true killers; A voyage to the moon of 1776; German covid coinages; and more!
There are at least 1200 covid-related German coinages: from Maskenflickenteppich (mask rag-rug, the patchwork of masking regulations) to Homeofficepauschale (home office flat-rate, a called-for €100/m home worker stipend), and so, so many more.
From backpfeifengesicht to kummerspeck to fingerspitzengefühl, the world of German compound words is a pure delight, an endless font of phrases that perfectly capture the zeitgeist.
German covid coinages are a pandemic kuddelmuddel!
coronamüde: Tired of covid
Coronafrisur: covid hairstyle
Hamsteritis: stockpiling food
CoronaFußgruß: corona foot-greeting