Today's threads (a thread).
Inside: What Democrats need to do; Automated functional drone manufacture; Privacy Without Monopoly Pt 2; and more!
What Democrats need to do: Don't just stand there, govern.
#15yrsago Using corn-rows to teach fractals https://web.archive.org/web/20051214202832/http://diac.cpsr.org/cgi-bin/diac02/pattern.cgi/public?pattern_id=494
#15yrsago Transport for London censors anagram Tube map https://web.archive.org/web/20060227093852/http://www.unfortu.net/anagrammap/
#10yrsago Egyptian orders a pizza for the Wisconsin demonstrators https://www.politico.com/story/2011/02/from-cairo-to-madison-some-pizza-049888
#5yrsago Citing copyright, Army blocks Chelsea Manning from receiving printouts from EFF’s website https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/military-prison-blocks-chelsea-manning-reading-eff-blog-posts
#1yrago Wells Fargo will pay $3b for 2 million acts of fraud https://pluralistic.net/2020/02/22/pluralist-your-daily-link-dose-22-feb-2020/#banksters
#1yrago ICANN should demand to see the secret financial docs in the .ORG selloff https://pluralistic.net/2020/02/22/pluralist-your-daily-link-dose-22-feb-2020/#unethos
Yesterday's threads: K-shaped recovery vs wealth taxes; Facebook vs Australia; The Paltrow-Industrial Complex; and more!
My latest novel is Attack Surface, a sequel to my bestselling Little Brother books. @washingtonpost called it "a political cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution and resistance."
Get signed books from @darkdel: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1840/Available_Now%3A_Attack_Surface.html
My 2020 book "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is a critique of Big Tech connecting conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies and proposing a way to deal with both:
Now, it's available in paperback!
My ebooks and audiobooks (from @torbooks, @HoZ_Books, @mcsweeneys, and others) are for sale all over the net, but I sell 'em too, and when you buy 'em from me, I earn twice as much and you get books with no DRM and no license "agreements."
* Mellon Sawyer Seminar on Contemporary Political Struggle: Social Movements, Social Surveillance, Social Media (with Zeynep Tufekci), Feb 24, https://ucdavis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_I99f4x8WRiKCfKUljVcYPg
* World Ethical Data Forum keynote, Mar 17-19, https://worldethicaldataforum.org/wedf-2020
* Launching "The Future You" with Brian David Johnson, Mar 19, https://www.changinghands.com/event/march2021/brian-david-johnson-future-you-break-through-fear-and-build-life-you-want
* Balancing Worldbuilding and Narrative (with Karen Osborne and Kali Wallace), Mar 24, https://ucsd.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_YSvD5IjGS7Su2z-xhQN1ZA
* Technology, Self-Determination, and the Future of the Future (CERIAS)
* Talking "Permanent Record Young Readers' Edition" with Edward Snowden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipfjn3bir8
* Talking "Agency" with William Gibson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGkwzrE1MY
* Software Freedom is Essential to Human Freedom (linux.conf.au keynote) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EirKskSd5U
My first picture book is out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!
Here's today's edition: https://pluralistic.net/2021/02/22/sorcerers-apprentice/
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "👥". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!
Subscribe here: https://pluralistic.net/plura-list
@pluralistic Cory, I understand that you would like to promote your work, but would it be possible to add the standard posts at a lower frequency?
While I love your original posts, they already are a large part of my time line, with the long list of ads it is really a lot of scrolling to get to posts by others.
@VictorVenema I post a roundup thread - with a colophon - every day. recommend using keyword muting if you don't want to see them.
@pluralistic Okay, added four filters. I always think that when a reasonable person voices a problem there are likely more people who have it.
Mamot.fr est une serveur Mastodon francophone, géré par La Quadrature du Net.