Today's threads (a thread).
Inside: Tech trustbusting's moment has arrived; Signed copies of HOW TO DESTROY SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM; and more!
Archived at: https://pluralistic.net/2021/02/20/escape-velocity/
On Feb 22, I'm delivering a keynote address for the NISO Plus conference, "The day of the comet: what trustbusting means for digital manipulation."
Tech trustbusting's moment has arrived: The end of the beginning is at hand.
Signed copies of HOW TO DESTROY SURVEILLANCE CAPITALISM: Relief for your screen-burned eyes.
#5yrsago What a serious keysigning ceremony looks like https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/02/technical-perspective-apple-iphone-case
#5yrsago Forced arbitration clauses are a form of wealth transfer to the rich https://web.archive.org/web/20160322142114/https://www.acslaw.org/sites/default/files/Arbitration_as_Wealth_Transfer_1.pdf
#5yrsago Pseudoscientific terror ended fluoridation in Calgary, now kids’ teeth are rotting https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/why-did-calgary-cave-to-chemophobes-over-fluoridation/article28814768/
#1yrago Adding 2 inches of tape to a road-sign induces sudden 50mph acceleration in Teslas https://pluralistic.net/2020/02/20/pluralist-a-daily-link-dose-20-feb-2020/#tsla-tape
#1yrago Bloomberg: kids only like Sanders because they're stupid https://pluralistic.net/2020/02/20/pluralist-a-daily-link-dose-20-feb-2020/#okboomer
#1yrago Barclay's bankers forced to endure nagging work-computer spyware https://pluralistic.net/2020/02/20/pluralist-a-daily-link-dose-20-feb-2020/#privilegegradient
#1yrago Uber driver/sharecroppers drive like maniacs to make quota https://pluralistic.net/2020/02/20/pluralist-a-daily-link-dose-20-feb-2020/#bezzled
Yesterday's threads: My talks with Edward Snowden and William Gibson; Complicity, incompetence, leadership and Capitol Police; How Republicans froze Texas solid; Uber loses court battle, steals wages, censors whistleblower; and more!
My latest novel is Attack Surface, a sequel to my bestselling Little Brother books. @washingtonpost called it "a political cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution and resistance."
Get signed books from @darkdel: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1840/Available_Now%3A_Attack_Surface.html
My 2020 book "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is a critique of Big Tech connecting conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies and proposing a way to deal with both:
Now, it's available in paperback!
* Keynote, NISO Plus, Feb 22, https://niso.plus/cory-doctorow-to-keynote-at-niso-plus-2021/
* Mellon Sawyer Seminar on Contemporary Political Struggle: Social Movements, Social Surveillance, Social Media (with Zeynep Tufekci), Feb 24, https://ucdavis.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_I99f4x8WRiKCfKUljVcYPg
* World Ethical Data Forum keynote, Mar 17-19, https://worldethicaldataforum.org/wedf-2020
* Launching "The Future You" with Brian David Johnson, Mar 19, https://www.changinghands.com/event/march2021/brian-david-johnson-future-you-break-through-fear-and-build-life-you-want
* Technology, Self-Determination, and the Future of the Future (CERIAS)
* Talking "Permanent Record Young Readers' Edition" with Edward Snowden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dipfjn3bir8
* Talking "Agency" with William Gibson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijGkwzrE1MY
* Software Freedom is Essential to Human Freedom (linux.conf.au keynote) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EirKskSd5U
My first picture book is out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!
Here's today's edition: https://pluralistic.net/2021/02/20/escape-velocity/
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "👩🏻🎓". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!
Subscribe here: https://pluralistic.net/plura-list
Mamot.fr est une serveur Mastodon francophone, géré par La Quadrature du Net.