Today's threads (a thread).
Inside: Constantly Wrong; Xi on interop and lock-in; Anti-bear robo-wolves; and more!
Xi on interop and lock-in: Inkjet business model as foreign policy.
#5yrsago How big offshoring companies pwned the H-1B process, screwing workers and businesses https://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/11/us/large-companies-game-h-1b-visa-program-leaving-smaller-ones-in-the-cold.html
#5yrsago Edward Snowden’s operational security advice for normal humans https://theintercept.com/2015/11/12/edward-snowden-explains-how-to-reclaim-your-privacy/
#5yrsago Councillor who voted to close all public toilets gets a ticket for public urination https://uk.news.yahoo.com/councillor-cut-public-toilets-fined-094432429.html
#5yrsago Female New Zealand MPs ejected from Parliament for talking about their sexual assault https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/11/new-zealand-female-mps-mass-walkout-pm-rapists-comment
Yesterday's threads: Interactive UK covid omnishambles explorer; Win 6 free sf/f hardcovers; and more!
My latest novel is Attack Surface, a sequel to my bestselling Little Brother books. @washingtonpost called it "a political cyberthriller, vigorous, bold and savvy about the limits of revolution and resistance."
Get signed books from @darkdel: https://www.darkdel.com/store/p1840/Available_Now%3A_Attack_Surface.html
I have a (free) new book out! "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is an anti-monopolist critique of Big Tech that connects the rise of conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies and proposes a way to deal with both:
My ebooks and audiobooks (from @torbooks, @HoZ_Books, @mcsweeneys, and others) are for sale all over the net, but I sell 'em too, and when you buy 'em from me, I earn twice as much and you get books with no DRM and no license "agreements."
* Cyberterrorists, Post-Apocalyptic Landscapes, and Were-Pomeranians/Texas Book Festival, Nov 12, https://www.texasbookfestival.org/events/cyberterrorists-post-apocalyptic-landscapes-and-were-pomeranians-new-in-speculative-fiction/
* Shaping the Digital Future Summit/Kaspersky, Nov 17, https://transparency.kaspersky.com/home
* Misinformation and Disinformation in Science Fiction and Fantasy/LITA, Nov 17, details TBD
* Keynote, Data Natives, Nov 18, https://datanatives.io/tickets/
* Keynote, Cologne Futures, Nov 20, details TBD
* Keynote, Cybersummit 2020, Nov 26 https://www.cybera.ca/cyber-summit-2020/
* Allen School Distinguished Lecture "Early Onset Oppenheimers"
* Author Stories Podcast
* The Gould Standard:
My first picture book is out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!
Here's today's edition: https://pluralistic.net/2020/11/12/thats-what-xi-said/
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "👩🏼🏭". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!
Subscribe here: https://pluralistic.net/plura-list
Mamot.fr est une serveur Mastodon francophone, géré par La Quadrature du Net.