Today's threads (a thread).
Inside: Call center workers pay for the privilege; Dan Hillier's Six Women/Six Men; Apple kills RSS readers in China; and more!
My first-ever Kickstarter is on! Pre-order the audiobook and/or ebook of Attack Surface, the third Little Brother book, and help me redefine the way publishers, writers and readers deal with Big Tech monopolies!
#5yrsago Voter suppression act two: closing driver’s license offices in Alabama’s Black Belt https://www.al.com/opinion/2015/09/voter_id_and_drivers_license_o.html
#5yrsago Arbitration: how America’s corporations got their own private legal system http://www.onthecommons.org/magazine/we-now-have-a-justice-system-just-for-corporations
#5yrsago Dieselgate for TVs: Samsung accused of programming TVs to cheat energy efficiency ratings https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/oct/01/samsung-tvs-appear-more-energy-efficient-in-tests-than-in-real-life
#5yrsago Internet of Things That Lie: the future of regulation is demonology https://ieet.org/index.php/IEET2/more/rinesi20150925
#5yrsago Landmark patent case will determine whether you can ever truly own a device again https://www.wired.com/2015/10/can-use-gadgets-may-hinge-printer-ink-case
#1yrago IRS admits it audits poor people because auditing rich people is too expensive
#1yrago Apple bans an app because Hong Kong protesters might use it to avoid the murderous, out of control police https://twitter.com/hkmaplive/status/1179108329240424448
I have a (free) new book out! "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is an anti-monopolist critique of Big Tech that connects the rise of conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies and proposes a way to deal with both:
My next book is ATTACK SURFACE, sequel to Little Brother and Homeland: it's a technothriller about a surveillance techie who goes home and learns the weapons she helped build are used against the racial justice movement founded by her best friend.
* Library Leaders Forum, Oct 6 https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9GoMvPZmT7KKCQ2fZIgmrQ
* 3 Big Ideas To Fix the Internet, Oct 7, https://www.nycmedialab.org/upcoming-events/summit2020
* Wired Nextfest Italia, Oct 10, https://nextfest2020-milano.wired.it/speaker/cory-doctorow/
* The Attack Surface Lectures: 8 nights of bookstore-hosted events in which I and a massive group of entertaining and knowledgeable experts discourse on my latest novel's themes, Oct 13-22 https://read.macmillan.com/torforge/cory-doctorow-virtual-lecture-series/
* Digital Rights, Surveillance Capitalism & Interoperable Socks (MMT Podcast)
* If Big Tech Is Toxic, How Do We Build Something Better? (panel)
* On ‘Attack Surface’ and WiFi Fridges (What a Hell of a Way to Die Podcast):
My first picture book just came out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!