Today's threads (a thread).
Inside: Witch; Attack Surface on the MMT Podcast; Private equity's profitable murder; The Years of Repair; Block Google-Fitbit; and more!
My first-ever Kickstarter is on! Pre-order the audiobook and/or ebook of Attack Surface, the third Little Brother book, and help me redefine the way publishers, writers and readers deal with Big Tech monopolies!
#10yrsago Stuttgart police use overwhelming force against peaceful protestors concerned about new train station https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/the-world-from-berlin-germany-shocked-by-disproportionate-police-action-in-stuttgart-a-720735.html
#5yrsago Judge John Hodgman is back in the NYT https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/04/magazine/judge-john-hodgman-on-a-christmas-wish.html
#5yrsago Nuanced profile of the Oklahoma county where “no one believes in climate change” https://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/opinions/sutter-climate-skeptics-woodward-oklahoma/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
#5yrsago Tube-map labelled with one-bedroom flat rental rates https://www.thrillist.com/lifestyle/london/london-underground-rent-map
#5yrsago France’s plan to legalize mass surveillance will give it the power to spy on the world https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2015/09/frances-government-aims-give-itself-and-nsa-carte-blanche-spy-world
#1yrago Stock buybacks: how Wall Street has created “profits without prosperity” https://www.worth.com/stock-buybacks-threaten-economic-growth/
#1yrago Global shipping companies comply with anti-air-pollution rules by dumping pollution into the sea, instead https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/shipping-pollution-sea-open-loop-scrubber-carbon-dioxide-environment-a9123181.html
#1yrago Surveillance camera hallucinates face in the snow, won’t shut up about it https://twitter.com/kcimc/status/1099934485301276673
#1yrago “The Tragedy of the Commons”: how ecofascism was smuggled into mainstream thought https://thebaffler.com/latest/first-as-tragedy-then-as-fascism-amend
#1yrago Consent in Gaming: a guide for GMs and players to difficult subjects for amazing games https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/288535/Consent-in-Gaming
#1yrago Zuckerberg: President Warren would “suck” for Facebook https://www.theverge.com/2019/10/1/20892354/mark-zuckerberg-full-transcript-leaked-facebook-meetings
I have a (free) new book out! "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is an anti-monopolist critique of Big Tech that connects the rise of conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies and proposes a way to deal with both:
My next book is ATTACK SURFACE, sequel to Little Brother and Homeland: it's a technothriller about a surveillance techie who goes home and learns the weapons she helped build are used against the racial justice movement founded by her best friend.
* Writing into an Uncertain Future, Afterwords, Oct 1, https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/writing-into-an-uncertain-future-tickets-115378329690
* Library Leaders Forum, Oct 6 https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9GoMvPZmT7KKCQ2fZIgmrQ
* 3 Big Ideas To Fix the Internet, Oct 7, https://www.nycmedialab.org/upcoming-events/summit2020
* Wired Nextfest Italia, Oct 10, https://nextfest2020-milano.wired.it/speaker/cory-doctorow/
* The Attack Surface Lectures: 8 nights of bookstore-hosted events in which I and a massive group of entertaining and knowledgeable experts discourse on my latest novel's themes, Oct 13-22 https://read.macmillan.com/torforge/cory-doctorow-virtual-lecture-series/
* Digital Rights, Surveillance Capitalism & Interoperable Socks (MMT Podcast)
* If Big Tech Is Toxic, How Do We Build Something Better? (panel)
* On ‘Attack Surface’ and WiFi Fridges (What a Hell of a Way to Die Podcast):
My first picture book just came out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!
Here's today's edition: https://pluralistic.net/2020/10/01/the-years-of-repair/
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!