Today's threads (a thread).
Inside: How I write; The Anti-Monopoly War Song; My other computer is...; Leaked EU Big Tech rules; Self-driving cars crashing; and more!
My first-ever Kickstarter is on! Pre-order the audiobook and/or ebook of Attack Surface, the third Little Brother book, and help me redefine the way publishers, writers and readers deal with Big Tech monopolies!
My other computer is...: Next-level IoT meme-generator.
Leaked EU Big Tech rules: Proposal, or trial balloon?
Self-driving cars crashing: Uber's cars can't drive half a mile without a problem.
#5yrsago Wisconsin is a paradise for white kids, but a hell for black kids https://fusion.tv/story/203830/wisconsin-african-americans-juvenile-arrests/
#5yrsago Lemony Snicket gives Planned Parenthood $1M https://twitter.com/DanielHandler/status/648468194215243776
#5yrsago After OPM hack, CIA pulls agents from Beijing for their safety https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/cia-pulled-officers-from-beijing-after-breach-of-federal-personnel-records/2015/09/29/1f78943c-66d1-11e5-9ef3-fde182507eac_story.html
Yesterday's threads: Bust 'em all; Someone Comes to Town, Someone Leaves Town, part 16; Dark money and SCOTUS; Machine learning hieroglyphs; and more!
I have a (free) new book out! "How to Destroy Surveillance Capitalism" is an anti-monopolist critique of Big Tech that connects the rise of conspiratorial thinking to the rise of tech monopolies and proposes a way to deal with both:
My ebooks and audiobooks (from @torbooks, @HoZ_Books, @mcsweeneys, and others) are for sale all over the net, but I sell 'em too, and when you buy 'em from me, I earn twice as much and you get books with no DRM and no license "agreements."
* Writing into an Uncertain Future, Afterwords, Oct 1, https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/writing-into-an-uncertain-future-tickets-115378329690
* Library Leaders Forum, Oct 6 https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_9GoMvPZmT7KKCQ2fZIgmrQ
* 3 Big Ideas To Fix the Internet, Oct 7, https://www.nycmedialab.org/upcoming-events/summit2020
* Wired Nextfest Italia, Oct 10, https://nextfest2020-milano.wired.it/speaker/cory-doctorow/
* The Attack Surface Lectures: 8 nights of bookstore-hosted events in which I and a massive group of entertaining and knowledgeable experts discourse on my latest novel's themes, Oct 13-22 https://read.macmillan.com/torforge/cory-doctorow-virtual-lecture-series/
* If Big Tech Is Toxic, How Do We Build Something Better? (panel)
* On ‘Attack Surface’ and WiFi Fridges (What a Hell of a Way to Die Podcast):
* Little Brother vs. Big Audiobook (Techdirt podcast): https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20200922/12403045358/techdirt-podcast-episode-256-little-brother-vs-big-audiobook-with-cory-doctorow.shtml
My first picture book just came out! It's called Poesy the Monster Slayer and it's an epic tale of bedtime-refusal, toy-hacking and monster-hunting, illustrated by Matt Rockefeller. It's the monster book I dreamt of reading to my own daughter.
You can also follow these posts as a daily blog at pluralistic.net: no ads, trackers, or data-collection!
Here's today's edition: https://pluralistic.net/2020/09/30/death-to-all-monopoly/
If you prefer a newsletter, subscribe to the plura-list, which is also ad- and tracker-free, and is utterly unadorned save a single daily emoji. Today's is "💍". Suggestions solicited for future emojis!
Subscribe here: https://pluralistic.net/plura-list
Mamot.fr est une serveur Mastodon francophone, géré par La Quadrature du Net.