Problems we are having with #Signal:
* It is and will remain centralized (clear strategy of *not* federating servers)
* It requires strong identifiers/selectors (phone#) to use
* Author disallows distribution by anyone but Google, although free/libre
* It keeps pushing away verification of fingerprint in interface
* It relies on Google+Amazon infrastructure
* Its funding is shady (OTF = Radio Free Asia = USG)
= clearly unethical choices, unjustifiable by accessibility or technological reasons.
@turb The verify feature used to be within the conversation, starting with a healthy warning "your conversation has not been verified yet, do it". now it is not displayed, like if safety was assumed by default.. and you have to go into *4 (four!)* clicks before you can find this feature now "conversation settings, scroll down, etc." where it is called "view safety blah" not even "verify..."... If UI were to be used to discourage from doing it, it would exactly look like this.
very bad practice.
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!